Tuesday, November 28, 2006

This . . .
We have a fairly large, lighted nativity scene in our front yard. Our neighbor said she was out with her dog about 11:00 last night and saw a deer standing by the stable with the other animals.
Jesus didn't seem to mind.
.
That . . .
Taylor and I climbed up into the Methodist Church bell tower tonight, to try and take pictures of the Christmas Parade in the dark. It is a rather treacherous and un-nerving climb straight up a pipe rung ladder to the top and the actual climb while carrying a flashlight, camera bag and tripod became "the event" rather than the parade. A look over one of the sides is a long way to the bottom, and as I say, "Makes my groin hurt".
I couldn't help but think of the words of Jesus . . . Low, I am with you always . . . Yikes!
When we got down, and outside, Taylor said he was going to just walk home and enjoy having both feet in contact with the ground.
.
This is That . . .
Sometimes I just sit in silence before God and attempt to hear what it is He would like to say to me. In times past, I have often avoided doing this because I already knew what he was saying and I didn't want to hear it. Now, I long to live in obedience, because I know that hungering after righteouseness is a key to having God draw near. Even if I fall short, I know God is pleased with the yes in my spirit.
I enjoy sitting in His presence even if neither one of us says anything. There is a certain dimension of excitement involved in drawing near to God. I think it was Lucy who said to Aslan, "He is not safe, but He is good". He's a billion volts and I'm just 110 or maybe just a single AAA battery. My Heavenly Father created the universe . . . Big Stuff! Yet, He thinks of me. He loves me, He has plans to partner with me and to be with me.
And so I say, "God, I desire your presence. I ask that you would draw near and manifest your presence to me. But be gentle . . . for you are great and terribly wonderful while I am quite small, and only desiring to be with you, to hear your voice, and to be more and more like you. One more thing God, in light of your great power and majesty, I am so thankful that you are GOOD."
.
.
Hey Curt, thanks for commenting. See you Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, when you said this it really meant something to me: "In times past, I have often avoided doing this because I already knew what he was saying and I didn't want to hear it. Now, I long to live in obedience ..."

That really resonates with my heart. I don't feel like I am living in his obedience at the moment. In my heart I am thinking, "Wow, I could be with God now?" Like I missed an appointment with him, and have to call him to reschedule. I have the desire to actually listen to him and accept it all wholeheartedly. Scary indeed!