Thursday, January 03, 2008

Sitting Before The Lord With Bated Breath

This . . .
Just read David Sliker's blog . . . really good.
It's what "One Thing" is all about.
.
In regard to the Iowa caucuses, I just heard someone say they were "waiting with bated breath".
That started me to awonderin' what waiting with bated breath might mean.
I found two definitions:
(1) With breath drawn in or held because of anticipation or suspense.
(2) Breathing subdued or restrained under the influence of awe, fear, love or other strong emotion."
.
So I was thinking that this is a great way to express how it is to wait before the Lord. He is lovely, but terrifying. We long to see Him, but I think when we do we will be in such awe that we won't be sure which way to run.
My daughter Tarah had a dream once where she saw a fiery tornado. She determined that this was a "good tornado", but she still was not sure weather to run away from the tornado or run to it. So it is with an all powerful God. We know he is good, but he scares us.
Jesus is a lamb, and Jesus is a lion. We would like to pet the lion, but we should be very careful as we approach someone so powerful and majestic.
.
That . . .
And so I wait with "bated breath" for a Jewish man, Christ Jesus, to come and reign on this earth as my Lord and Savior. I hold my breath in anticipation. My breathing is restrained and I am full of awe, fear and love, even now as I sit in His presence.
.
This is That . . .
I would like to share an experience I had at the One Thing Conference.
I was ushering during one of the morning sessions, the worship was good, the message was good and the ministry time was great.
Then it seemed like it was all over, but Mike Bickle kept encouraging everyone to stick with it and press in a little bit longer. As many were encountering the Lord, I noticed a black man about my age just worshiping and crying out like many others. I guess it was not too unusual for me to notice him since he was the only black man in the section I was ushering. But the Lord kept pointing him out to me. I thought maybe I should go offer to pray for him or say something to him, but I really had nothing to say. I thought I had missed my chance when the music began to end, but then Mike again said, "Just a little longer".
Then I knew I could sit there no longer. I went over to where he was and just put my arm around him. He responed in kind, and we just sat there hugging each other cheek to cheek for a minute or two, weeping the whole time. The love of the Lord was all around. Then I said a short blessing over him and walked away, thanking the Lord for his great love.

No comments: