Sunday, June 13, 2010

Jerry James' First Basketball Game In Life

.
This . . .
When I was little, I didn't have a basketball goal.
I made a small goal out of hangers and yellow yarn,
and nailed it up above the garage door.
I used a really light half size ball.
There was a flat roof over the garage,
and the ball wound up there quite often.
I would climb up the clothesline pole,
get the ball and climb back down.
I did this over and over and over.
.

.
That . . .
I didn't realize it, but our neighbor across the street
was watching all of this take place, day after day.
He was a retired doctor??? and never seemed very friendly,
so I was suprised when he came over one day
and asked if I would like for him to put a goal up for me.
Well YEAH!
He took me to his garage and showed me a real
goal with a real backboard. Unbelievable.
Wow, this standoff neighbor was becoming my best friend.
I was so thankful, and even though I can't even remember his name,
I will never forget that wonderful act of kindness.
.
This is That . . .
.
Love thy neighbor.
.
Acts of kindness are a really good thing.
On December 3, 1964 I wrote on a calendar . . .
Jerry James' first basketball game in life!
.

No comments: