Sunday, April 01, 2007

Lean Towards Africa

.
This . . .
I attended a men's prayer breakfast at The Journey Church in Little Rock Saturday morning. Cory Valentine led the meeting (it was awsome by the way) and then the pastor, Doug Sherman, ended by asking everyone to come to the front and stand close to the marker board. When I looked again, Shane Worbington was standing with his nose plastered to the board. Get it? He was standing close to the marker board in obedience to Doug's request. OK, he was really just acting stupid, but in a good way.
.
That . . .
I was directing a choir at the Church of the Redeemer in Hamburg a couple of years ago, and decided it would be good to have one of the choir memebers bring a devotion, testimony, or a word of some kind to the group each week before rehearsal. And so I remember approaching Janet Mills to ask her if she would be willing to do this the next week.
I said, "Janet, I want to ask you something".
"OK", she replied.
"Would you . . ."
She interuppted me and said, "Yes, I will . . . what is it?"
That was so cool, and a great picture of how our responses to God should be. We should always have a "Yes" response lying in waiting for whatever He would ask us to do. And then, when He asks us to get close to the marker board, we should straight away go plaster our nose to the board.
.
This is That . . .
Arthur Blessitt is the guy who has carried a big wooden cross all over the world sharing the love of Jesus as he goes. I remember an illustration that he used in a message somewhere.
He said, "If God asked me to go to Africa I would immediately say OK and then call to get a plane ticket.
If I couldn't get a plane ticket I would see about a bus or train to the coast where I could hopefully get a boat ride.
If I couldn't get a bus or train ticket I would get in my car and start driving in the direction of Africa.
If I didn't have a car, I would walk to the street and start hitchhiking.
If I couldn't walk I would begin to crawl.
If I couldn't even crawl, I would sit in my chair and just lean for all I was worth towards Africa!"
.
Go, Arthur Blessitt! I pray that that will always be my response to whatever God asks me to do.

No comments: