Monday, October 29, 2007

Hope

.
This . . .
I was attending Colby Jr. College back in 1972. A friend, Kathy, came bouncing in announcing . . . I like the way that sounds so I think I'll say it again. She came bouncing in announcing, "I've written a book!"
I answered with, "Wow, that's great! What's it about?"
Her response, "I don't know, I haven't read it yet."
She wasn't joking.
.
That is how this blog is. I don't know what it's about because I haven't read it yet, but as soon as I do, I'll let you know. No joke.
.
That . . .
I don't like halloween.
.
This is That . . .
I Thessalonians 5:8 talks about the hope of salvation.
Hebrews 11:1 says faith is the substance of things hoped for.
I Corinthians 13:13 says now abide faith, hope and love.
.
There is a line in The Princess Bride that says, "I don't think that word means what you think it means."
I think the word hope might be a word like that.
.
The word hope in the above passages has nothing to do with wringing our hands and "hoping" that things will work out.
.
A simple definition of faith is,
Confidence in God's promises related to the present.
A simple definition of hope is,
Confidence in God's promises related to the future.
So faith focuses on the present and hope focuses on the future, but they both are certainties.
There are many, many prophetic promises in the Bible that have "certainly" already happened, and there are many others that "certainly" will happen.
As believers, we should exercise great faith
in believing the now promises of God.
And we should also enjoy a great hope
for promises related to the future.
They will certainly come to pass . . . I hope.
.
I don't like Halloween.

No comments: