Saturday, October 20, 2007

What A Friend We Have In Jesus

This . . .
I remember taking Elliott to baseball practice the other year when he was about eight. It was around 4:30 in the afternoon and he let me know he was really hungry, so we stopped at Taco Bell for some tacos. As he was eating his third one, he looked over at me and said . . . "This doesn't count as supper does it?".
.
That . . .
I saw Cindy, Kenny and Matt Hudgens at Wal-Mart this evening.
Kenny said, "How are you?"
I started to answer fine, but then, decided to say good, only it came out, "fude".
The question is how do you spell food? I mean good is pronounced good, and food is pronounced food, so how do you spell the word good with an f in front pronounced like a word that rhymes with hood only with an f? I don't think you can spell that word, but trust me, you can say it.
.
This is That . . .
James 4:4
Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God?
I think it might be good to read that again.
Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God?
.
James chapter six says we used to know this, but we don't anymore.
I am feeling a bit prudish. It is not easy to "not be friends with the world". That TV show is funny and fun to watch, but I somehow think we should not be friends with it.
.
That music makes my flesh feel great. I "love" that song, that singer, that group.
I don't think we should be friends with that music.
.
That actor or actress has values that make me want to puke, and going to a movie they are in denounces all that I believe, but it's only a movie, right? And so entertaining.
I don't think we should be friends with that actor, that actress or that movie.
.
We have rolled our eyes and shook our heads at the idea that stores shouldn't be open on Sunday, that dancing as the world dances is evil, that rock 'n roll is of the devil, that we shouldn't allow Elvis to gyrate his hips on the Ed Sullivan show, that "Woodstock" was immoral and rebellious, not a new freedom of speech full of peace and love. That "Saturday Night Live" is trash.
Maybe the old fogeys were right after all. Maybe I'm turning into an old fogey.
.
People say, "Get a life"; "Lighten up"; "Times have changed".
I think times HAVE changed, but God hasn't. My flesh is crying out, but my spirit is not agreeing. This is not an easy thing; the way to destruction IS broad and the way to life IS narrow.
.
Call me an old whatever, but I believe we need to re-evaluate who and what we are friends with, repent, and confess . . .
"What a friend we have in Jesus".

No comments: