Sunday, October 07, 2007

Prophetic Untimeliness

This . . .
I have been "reading at" a book called Prophetic Untimeliness by O.S. Guiness. Here is a short summary of what the book is about.
By our uncritical pursuit of relevance we have actually courted irrelevance; by our breathless chase after relevance without a matching commitment to faithfulness, we have become not only unfaithful but irrelevant; by our determined efforts to redefine ourselves in ways that are more compelling to the modern world than are faithful to Christ, we have lost not only our identity but our authority and our relevance. Our crying need is to be faithful as well as relevant.
I am not sure that I know what that means, but I think I understand it.
.
That . . .
OS makes statements in this book that I enjoy because they sound totally brilliant, but after reading them three or four times, I am still scratching my head.
Here is another favorite.
If resistance thinking is so important and untimely people are so vital, where do we find the counterperspective that frees us from the distortions of our own situation?
What?
.
This is That . . .
When God speaks, what he says is always relevant and timely. It is the spin we put on what he says that sometimes makes what we think he said irrelevant and untimely.
I think we need to think simple and speak English.
.
God is good.
God loves me.
God desires that I love him.
When I love him I will be obedient to him.
Sin is bad. Obedience is good.
Read God's word and pray to him about it.
Take care of the needy, give to the poor.
.
I could go on and on and so could you.
We know, but we don't always do.

No comments: