Wednesday, September 06, 2006

This . . .
What are smithereens? I have always heard of something being blown up into smithereens, but I've never seen one. Or two.
.
That . . .
Here is another one. What is a codger? As in, "He's just an old codger". Do you have to be old to be a codger, or are there young codgers too. I think a codger is a man. What if you have all the characteristics of being a codger, but you are female . . . what are you called then.
Life is hard.
.
This is That . . .
I have been troubled by something Jeff blogged about recently. He was talking about how little difference there is between believers and non-believers.
.
" . . . in poll after poll, researchers are discovering that the behavior of those claiming to be Christian in America is no different from those outside the church. In the areas of divorce, materialism and the poor, sexual misconduct, racism, and physical abuse in marriage (need we go further?), he cites results that show no significant statistical differences between nominal Christians and larger society. Ouch. In fact, in the Bible Belt some of the "statistics were actually higher among "Christians." From Jeffs Blog.
.
This is not ok.
Jesus . . . impower us to be salt & light. Lord God we want to be part of the answer, not the problem. I pray that when people encounter us as believers, it would cause them to give glory to you. Let our lives be a "good witness" to all we encounter. Show us your love God, and let us love that way too. Show us your desires, and let those be our desires too. Show us your glory, and let your glory be evident in us. Forgive us Lord for blending in . . . for sitting when we should stand . . . for being silent when you have something for us to say. Change us Lord, for we are not all we should be. Jesus, guide us, we want to follow.
Amen.
.
Let's Stand

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dad,
I looked up the word codger and this is what I found:

codger  [koj-er]
–noun
an eccentric man, esp. one who is old.
[Origin: 1750–60; perh. var. of obs. cadger; see cadge]

So, I guess a codger does not necessarily have to be old, but most are. And, I guess a woman cannot be a codger, no matter how eccentric and manish.

Elliott

Jerry James said...

But . . .
What would you call an eccentric old woman?
Codgeraw. Codgeress. Codgermamma. Codgerette.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that we have a word in the english language that means eccentric old woman. I think that all women are eccentric and that when we say woman, eccentric is just implied. Also, I don't think that any woman wants to be called old, so we don't have a word for that either. However, if we did have a word for it, I personally like Codgermamma. Tonight, I am hosting our weekly movie night. We call our movie group "Collective Grandpa". I have chosen the movie Harold and Maude. I think if you ever want to call someone a female codger, you could just call them a "Maude" and that would do.

Elliott

Jerry James said...

Elliott,
You made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Excellent--Elliott

Anonymous said...

Excellent--Elliott

Anonymous said...

great article. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you guys hear that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.

Anonymous said...

nice article. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did any one learn that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.